Your skin color depends upon various factors, main of which is the pigment melanin which is produced in the skin cells known as melanocytes. If you have darker skin, it means your melanocytes produces more melanin. Sometimes, darker skin is not your natural skin color. It may get darken due to tanning resulting from exposure to sun rays. In fact, your skin color adapts to intense sunlight irradiation so that you get protection against the ultraviolet rays that can damage your skin. There can be many other causes for dark skin other than heredity and overexposure to sun. These may include environmental pollution, dry skin, stress, as well as prolonged usage of cosmetics having lots of chemicals in them. If your dark skin is not due to genetic reasons, you may take an attempt to lighten your skin with the help of these home remedies for skin lightening.
Homemade Remedies to Lighten Skin Naturally
1. Milk for Skin Lightening
Milk is a rich source of calcium. Calcium, along with many important functions in our body, also regulates normal skin color. It does so by stimulating melanocytes, the skin cells that produces melanin pigment. Also, when you provide higher calcium content to the upper epidermis of your skin, you help maintain effective barrier against moisture loss. This prevents skin from going dry which can also affect your skin making it darker. Milk also contains lactic acid which reduces skin’s pigmentation making your skin lighter in complexion.
How to use milk for skin lightening?
- Milk (preferably cow’s or goat’s milk)- 1 bowl
So Enn’s Closet has brought for you all natural/ organic Cleansing Milk, Available at- https://www.ennscloset.com/bath-and-beauty/facecare/face-cleanser/bio-bloom-natural-cleansing-milk-8
- Take the bowl of milk and warm it a little. You need just warm milk and not hot.
- Soak your washcloth in this.
- Take out the washcloth and wring it out to discard excessive milk. While the cloth should be fully soaked in milk, it should not drip.
- Now gently rub your skin with this cloth.
- Once the cloth gets dry, soak it again in the milk and repeat the process.
- Repeat the cycle of dipping and rubbing for 3-4 times.
- Do this daily, preferably after taking bath.
- After a couple of weeks, you may do this twice a week instead of doing it daily.
2. Yogurt for Skin Lightening
Lactic acid is a known remedy for natural skin lightening. This acid is the most gentle alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). Alpha hydroxy acids act as exfoliants by contributing in rapid shedding of dead skin cells on the surface. This leads to cell renewal which in turn removes dullness from your skin giving you a brightening effect. As a skin lightening agent, lactic acid helps bleach the hyperpigmented skin by suppressing the production of melanin. Therefore, using yogurt loaded with lactic acid, makes sense when it comes to skin lightening with natural remedies.
Ways to use yogurt for skin lightening
- Take some plain, unflavored and unsweetened, yogurt. Rub this gently on to your skin for a couple of minutes. Then leave the yogurt on your skin for another few minutes. Now wash off using lukewarm water. Repeat this daily.
3. Lemon Juice for Skin Lightening
Lemon juice is a natural astringent and has natural bleaching properties. Thus, if you have an oily skin and if you want to lighten your skin color, lemon juice is just right for you. Its astringent property will tighten your pores reducing the sebum secretion and its natural acidic composition will bleach your skin to whiten it. As lemon juice is also rich in vitamin C, it leads to production of new skin cells so that you get rid of all dullness and have bright skin.
Ways to use lemon juice for skin lightening
- Take a lemon and squeeze out its juice. Dip a cotton ball in this lemon juice and apply it on your face or dark skin anywhere else. Leave it for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with water. Repeat daily.
- If you want to save yourself from the hassle of squeezing out the lemon juice, just cut a lemon in two halves and rub one of the lemon half gently on your face for 10-15 minutes. Then leave the juice on your face for another 10-15 minutes before washing it off.
Precaution: Never go out in sun after applying lemon juice to your skin. Lemon juice makes your skin ultra sensitive to sun rays that can, I n fact, lead to more discoloration of skin. Also do not use lemon juice if you have open wounds on your skin.
4. Rice Powder for Skin Lightening
Women from Asian countries have long used rice water and rice powder to tone and whiten their skin. Modern science too agrees upon the positive effects of rice extract on mature skin as well as its capacity to lighten skin. Rice is a rich source of para amino-benzoic acid (PABA) which acts as a natural sunscreen. When you consume PABA, it raises the level of Vitamin C in your body. Rice also has ferulic acid, an antioxidant, which when added to Vitamin C and E, provides you excellent protection against sun. A study conducted with rice bran extracts has proven its hydrating, skin lightening and anti aging effects on skin.
The Rice Scrub is available at our website- https://www.ennscloset.com/svayam-natural-rice-scrub-8
5. Aloe Vera to Lighten Skin Naturally
Aloesin is a compound that is present in aloe vera plant. Aloesin can inhibit tyrosinase activity thus regulating the production of melanin in your skin. This way you can get fairer skin by using aloe vera gel. As aloe vera also have many additional benefits in the form of its antioxidant properties, it can give you a soft, smooth skin which is light in color.
How to use aloe vera for skin lightening?
- Get a slice of an aloe vera leaf.
- Cut open the leaf slice and with the help of a spoon, collect the gel inside it.
- Apply this aloe gel to your skin 4 times a day.
- Repeat this daily for about 15 days.
- After 15 days, you can reduce the application frequency by apply it twice a day 3-4 times a week.
You can also the Aloe Vera face wash brought to you by Enn’s Closet available at – https://www.ennscloset.com/bath-and-beauty/facecare/facewash/aloe-vera-with-scrub-face-wash
This Blog is brought to you by Enns Closet, “A beauty brand that puts your health first”